Thursday, December 15, 2011

Happy Birthday, Autumn!

Today is my baby sister's 23rd birthday.  Happy Birthday, Autumn!

It was 23 years ago that my prayers for a sister were answered.  My dad came and picked me up from school early because my sister's birthmother was in labor.  We got to the hospital and waited.  and waited.  and waited.  Until finally my mom came out and told us we had a girl.  I knew we had a girl already.  I had prayed for a baby sister and I knew when my parents decided to adopt that baby that it would be a girl.  My parents trusted the doctor when he said SHE was a boy.  The bought boy clothes, boy diapers, and, well, boy stuff.  I told them to buy pink but no one listened to me.  Dad had to exchange everything.  <giggle>

Autumn was a little bity bit when she came home.  She weighed less than 5 pounds and could fit in my Cabbage Patch Preemie doll clothes.  Mom and dad had to special order her bottles and her diapers.  23 years ago they didn't carry preemie diapers at local stores and we couldn't find 2 ounce bottles with preemie nipples anywhere.    She was just so tiny and cute.

Anyway, I'm happy to call Autumn my sister.  She's become a beautiful young woman who loves God.  I'm proud of her.  I'm thankful to God for giving her to us. 

Happy Birthday, Autumn; I love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment