Saturday, April 28, 2012

Obedience is smart!

Not too long ago I went to a meeting.  I don't want to go into great detail about the meeting because, well, it's not the thing to do on my blog.  I can tell you that the attitude given about the poor rubbed me the wrong way.  Want to know what rubbed me really wrong?  When, after being told that my children would continue to be homeschooled no matter how good the schools are here and that we were willing to make pretty big sacrifices to do so, the person I was talking to looked at me and said, "You just seem so smart."

I had a moment.  That person may have thought it wasn't a pretty moment.  I politely looked at her and said, "Oh, I am smart!  I have a bachelor's degree from Texas A&M and have worked in social services since I graduated."  I wanted to tell that person that I am more qualified to do her job than she is, but I refrained.  My momma taught me better than that.  Apparently her momma didn't teach her the same manners. 

What in the world would make someone imply that I am NOT smart because I make sacrifices to homeschool my children?  I'm doing what God has called me and told me to do.  Proverbs 22:6 tells us, "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  I am convicted that I cannot train them up in the way they should go if they're at school more than they're at home during waking hours.  They're not just learning the 3 Rs at our house.  They're not just learning history facts and dates at our house.  My boys are learning how to serve GOD! 

I'm praying God gives me a better answer for the next time something like this happens.  I'm also praying that I can refrain from being so indignant and really say what God wants me to say.  I do feel like I'm smart.  I'm smart enough to obey my Heavenly Father and do what HE tells me is right for my family and not follow what the world says would be best for us.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you, honey. Way to stand your ground. We homeschool because we DON'T want our children brought up in the secular, Bible-bashing system that is in place...no matter how good their test scores are. We want our boys raised to be intelligent AND God-fearing young men!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the kids are now in pub school for a reason. However, although I miss them so much. I am very grateful for the years I was privileged to teach them and to give them a ROCK solid foundation!! Cora has a friend who is the sweetest thing and her mom is so nice, too. I feel sad for her though ...I made a comment to her using the term "until" and she had no clue what I was saying. At first, I thought she was playing when she said shed ask Cora because she has a big vocabulary ...I found out she wasn't when I overheard her ask Cora what I meant! :-/ She is so sweet it is a pity that she is so lost. Today she about went into shock when adding fractions was discussed during the making of noodles. She never cooks. She asked Cora to take home ec with her next year because she got an F the first time. I think it is a grave mis service when kids are so sheltered and done for that they go into adulthood so ill prepared. I've decided to step up and help this girl in anyway I can!! It's the least I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. U have to obey God and noy listen to what others say. I have let the devil beat me up over what someone told me when I know in my heart what God told us....no more...I agree with u in prayer that God will give u right words to say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am constantly amazed at what people let shoot out of their mouths without a second thought. For me, it seems as if most people who respond that way are being defensive because they are afraid that we are going to judge them.

    You are doing what God called you to do - there can be no better job than that!

    So pleased to meet another Gidget - and a homeschooler at that! :)

    ReplyDelete