Sunday, October 30, 2011

Momma Loves Me Casserole

Momma Loves Me Casserole
I struggled within myself what to name this casserole.  I thought about "How to use up a 10 pound bag of leg quarters", but since I didn't use the whole bag, that didn't seem right.  Then Oliver said it, "I'm so glad I have a momma who loves me enough to feed me good food!"  That's it!  Momma Loves Me Casserole.  I'm just glad he liked it enough to say that. 

Today's lunch started Friday when I took out a 10 pound bag of frozen leg quarters from the freezer.  I let them thaw Friday night and cooked them Saturday with the intention of making chicken stew Saturday night.  Well, we went to a birthday party and I didn't know we were eating there so that took care of most of us (everyone but dad).  Dad went out with the men's ministry of his church so that took care of him.  What did NOT get taken care of was the boatload of chicken.  I ended up putting the whole pot of cooked chicken in the fridge overnight.

This morning I knew I had to do something with the chicken.  I just didn't know what.  It's warmnig up today and soup just didn't sound good now.  I went looking through the pantry and Pastor Husband said chicken and rice sounded good.  Ok but prepared HOW?  He didn't know.  I found some boil in the bag rice that needed to be used, some California blend veggies in the freezer, some Monterrey Jack cheese (block) in the fridge, some Ritz crackers on top of the fridge, and some provalone cheese in the fridge (sliced).  Let the fun begin.  Pastor Husband deboned the chicken for me, putting the skin aside along with the bones.  I cooked the rice and veggies while I shredded the cheese.  Sprayed a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray, mixed the rice, chicken, veggies, and shredded jack cheese, topped with crumbled up crackers that I topped with the provalone.  Popped it in the oven until the cheese was melted and slightly browned.  YUMM-O!  We always add salt and pepper to taste after it's all cooked since Pastor Husband can't have salt.

There ya have it.  Now I just have to figure out what to do with the rest of the chicken!

5 comments:

  1. MMm, sounds yummy! Could you shred, bag and freeze the rest of the chicken to make this again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmmm that looks and sounds so good - and how resourceful!!!!

    Don't you love when the kids say cute things about something as basic as feeding them. lol Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to use up things on hand! Sounds yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds really good! My DH doesn't like rice (crazy) but I will make this any way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's how we roll too! Though usually we can only have the dish ONCE, because I just throw things in until it looks right... Heh. :)

    ReplyDelete